Top 10 The Best Portable Ice Maker Reviews in 2021
- 1 Top 10 The Best Portable Ice Maker Reviews in 2021
- 2 Top 10 Best Portable Ice Makers:
- 3 The Best Portable Ice Maker Reviews:
- 3.1 1. NewAir Portable Ice Maker 50 lb
- 3.2 2. Magic Chef 27-Lb. Portable Ice Maker
- 3.3 3. COSTWAY Portable and Compact Ice Maker
- 3.4 4. GE Profile Opal Compact Ice Maker
- 3.5 5. NewAir Portable Nugget Ice Maker 28 lb
- 3.6 6. Frigidaire EFIC108-B-Black Portable Compact Ice Maker
- 3.7 7. Euhomy Portable Nugget Ice Maker Machine
- 3.8 8. Igloo ICEB26HNBK Automatic Self-Cleaning
- 3.9 9. Igloo ICEB26RR Automatic Portable Electric Ice Maker
- 3.10 10. Luma Comfort Portable Nugget Ice Maker
- 4 Buying Guides:
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- 6 Conclusion:
Choosing a portable ice maker becomes very easy for many. All answers will be on this post. Ice is indispensable to cold beverages. People who drink ice from time to time will easily settle with store-bought ice bags, which are quite convenient and less expensive under the circumstance. On the other hand, if you use ice regularly, it’s costly to get the supply from stores in the long run. It’s also inconvenient to find a place to keep your ice.
While the majority of refrigerators can make ice to some extent, they cannot generate ice in large quantities to meet your expectations. Meanwhile, a small portable ice maker machine is capable of churning out up to 50 pounds of ice cubes daily. In other words, you’ll get up to 300 ice pieces throughout the day. The best portable ice maker is a perfect fit for busy people and busy families. This appliance also frees you from the hassle of constantly running to the shop to buy ice.
Today, we’ve rounded up the 15 best portable ice makers. These models have a small footprint to fit in small spaces such as RV or dorm room while still ensuring enough ice supply for your weekend parties or celebrations.
After finishing our reviews, you can take a look at what you should consider while choosing the best portable ice maker. Hopefully, you have a good time reading our article and get an ice maker without any hesitation soon.
Top 10 Best Portable Ice Makers:
The Best Portable Ice Maker Reviews:
1. NewAir Portable Ice Maker 50 lb
NewAir is well-known for offering top-quality kitchen gadgets with affordable price tags. If you’re after the best portable ice maker, this model is well worth a look. This unit has an impressive capacity of producing 50 pounds of ice in a day, making it a great choice for busy kitchens or even for commercial uses.
The installation is quick and stress-free. Even if you’re new to a portable ice machine, you’ll find it easy to operate the machine in minutes. The machine doesn’t require a lot of maintenance as it comes with a self-cleaning mode. This feature also helps to expand the product’s service years. While this unit has a larger capacity than most of the competitors, it takes up to 13 minutes to produce ice. If the speed of ice production is your top priority, take a look at other picks on our reviews which only take between 6 to 7 minutes to generate ice.
The machine offers 3 ice size options, so you can choose what best suits your drinks. Just like with other portable ice cube makers, the compressor fluids of the unit need some hours for appropriate setup. Make sure to go through this step before starting making ice. Despite its size, this unit is still categorized into the portable type. If you want the best portable ice maker machine that doesn’t dominate your counter, you will love this model.
- Makes up to 50 pounds of ice per day
- Makes up to 12 pieces of ice in as little as 7 minutes
- Automatic shut off & overflow protection
- Empty water reservoir light indicator
Things we like
- Produce 50 pounds of fresh ice in a day
- Takes 7 minutes to make a small batch of ice
Things we dislike
- Problems around sensors
2. Magic Chef 27-Lb. Portable Ice Maker
Like any other Magic Chef appliance, this model boasts an outstanding look and comes in different colors to fit in any kitchen. There are two ice sizes at your disposal. For added convenience, the transparent window on the lid allows you to check on the ice production whenever you want.
The capacity is relatively similar to that of other competitors. The machine can produce a maximum of 27 pounds over within 24 hours. You have to wait around 7 minutes for a 1.5-pound ice batch (translate to 9 pieces of ice).
If you’re still wondering whether or not 27 pounds is enough for your family’s needs, then think about 162 ice cubes, which is exactly the amount of ice you’ll get from the unit in a day. In case you need more than that, consider buying a commercial alternative.
Otherwise, if this capacity is enough for your needs, you can get one without worrying it’ll take too much counter space. Even if you’re not tech-savvy, you’ll not have any issue navigating the user-friendly digital control. The panel also gives signals when the storage is full and you need to empty it. This makes your life easier without having to constantly monitor the machine. The exterior drain is also a welcome addition. Looking for the best portable ice maker that makes ice quickly and looks great, this Magic Chef offers a great solution.
- Makes ice in as little as 7 minutes
- Makes 9 ice cubes per 1 cycle
- Choice of 2 ice cube sizes
- Makes up to 27 lbs. of ice 24 hours
Things we like
- A single ice batch is generated within 7 minutes
- Stylish appearance
- See-through viewing window
Thing we dislike
- 27 pounds of ice might not suffice
3. COSTWAY Portable and Compact Ice Maker
COSTWAY offers plenty of reasonably-priced products without compromising on their performance and quality. This pick is no exception. At a low price, this unit still offers you a smart feature with easy-to-push buttons for easier operation. This portable ice maker machine also notifies when you need to refill the water reservoir or when the ice fills up the basket. There’s no need to constantly check on the machine.
One of the things we like about this unit is the ability to create bullet-shaped ice. This ice type keeps your drinks cold without watering them down. Besides, you won’t hurt your mouth chewing this type of ice. Built from certified food-grade plastic, the design appears solid and durable. Cleaning is a breeze thanks to the wipe-clean exterior.
This small portable ice maker generates an impressive 26.5 pounds of ice per day. Every cycle takes only 6 minutes to bring out a small ice batch. If you need a large amount of ice during the day, you’d better off give your machine a break between cycles. Otherwise, your machine is likely to give out soon. Apart from the nice features above, this portable ice machine makes very little noise while running. It’s energy-saving as well. All of these reasons explain why this is the best portable ice maker to buy.
- 🧊【Portable Ice Maker and Wide Applications】With a size of 9.5” x 14” x 13”, this...
- 🧊【Fast and Efficient Ice Making】Equipped with high-power compressor, 9 corrosion-resistant...
- 🧊【Multiple Smart Functions and Convenient Operation】Our ice maker indicators will remind you...
- 🧊【Bullet Shape and Available Ice Size】Our COSTWAY ice maker is Different from other ice...
Things we like
- Intelligent feature
- Creates clear, bullet-shaped ice
- Comes in different bright colors
Things we dislike
- The scoop has no holder
4. GE Profile Opal Compact Ice Maker
This stunning portable ice maker machine is made by GE. With a modest dimension of 17.5 x 13.43 x 16.5, the unit sits neatly atop every counter, making it an ideal option for small kitchens. Despite the small size, this machine can churn out 24 pounds of ice cubes daily. Plus, the storage basket has a capacity of 3 pounds, which is enough to meet your drinking needs. It takes no more than 20 minutes to generate small ice batches.
Beyond quick delivery and convenience, we’re also impressed with the quality of ice. Rustle up your favorite beverages for your loved ones with the soft, crunchy ice cubes that are just out of the machine.
As this portable ice maker machine doesn’t require a water hookup, just plug it into the nearby outlet, pour water into the reservoir, turn the machine on and let it take care of the rest. A 1-year warranty from the manufacturer will give you peace of mind. To sum things up, this is the best portable ice maker you can have for holding at-home parties or celebrating holidays.
- NUGGET ICE: Enjoy chewable ice made from compacted ice flakes, perfect for cocktails, sodas and...
- PORTABLE: Easily move your ice maker as needed. No water hookup required, just plug it into any 120v...
- QUICK & POWERFUL: Within only 20 minutes, you’ll be enjoying soft, crunchy ice, just like the ice...
- SMART - Built-In Bluetooth Connectivity: Schedule fresh ice, monitor your ice maker’s status and...
Things we like
- Each cycle takes 20 minutes to make ice
- Can connect via Bluetooth
- Do away with water hookup
Things we dislike
- Small capacity (only 24 pounds per day)
5. NewAir Portable Nugget Ice Maker 28 lb
This Newair portable nugget ice maker is slightly expensive than other competitors. However, you can watch out for discounts offered regularly by many retailers. While looking for such an appliance, compactness is the top concern for many buyers. This NewAir portable nugget ice maker is a great solution. Measuring at 14.5 x 11.75 x 15 inches, this unit is more than ideal to fit in limited spaces.
With a daily output of 28 pounds of ice, this unit is sure to give you enough ice supply for the whole day. A basket and scoop are also included as part of the package for easy ice retrieval. The buttons are straightforward to use. Even if you are a technophobe, you’ll find it relaxing to operate the machine. Besides, the detachable 2.2-pound basket is another nice touch.
This unit is compact enough to flexibly fit in any cramped counter space. With a weight of 26.3 pounds, it’s a light appliance to carry around, to your dorm or even in an RV, to make ice whenever you need it. All in all, this unit offers a fine combination of flexibility, affordability, and quality, making it the best portable nugget ice maker available.
- Choose from 3 bullet ice cube sizes
- Makes up to 28 pounds of ice per day
- Side mounted drain makes it easy to empty unused water
- 2 Indicator lights: Ice basket full indicator and empty water indicator
Things we like
- 3 ice sizes to choose from
- Compact footprint to fit in RVs
- Capable of generating up to 28 pounds of ice
Things we dislike
- Problems around warranty policy
6. Frigidaire EFIC108-B-Black Portable Compact Ice Maker
People always love appliances with high efficiency and affordable price tag. This Frigidaire portable ice maker is one of those products. If the process of buying and installing a machine is a deal-breaker to you, this unit can make you think twice. You’ll not have any issues with the installation of the unit, and fresh, clear ice cubes will be generated just after 15 minutes.
While this Frigidaire portable ice maker takes up a very little amount of space in your kitchen, it’s still capable of kicking out 26 pounds of ice in a day. For most households, this capacity is adequate. If you need more than that, go for the larger unit. The LED screen is intuitive with clear markings, making it a pleasure to navigate. The machine is easy to use, rendering the instructions redundant.
In terms of production, a batch of 9 ice cubes is created within 7-15 minutes. This capacity ensures you have enough supply for the most common needs. However, the lid of this cheap portable ice maker is quite flimsy to hold. We would appreciate it if the manufacturer made it more robust. Despite that drawback, the Frigidaire portable ice maker offers you great value and is the best portable ice maker to buy.
- Convenient, compact design is ideal for use in small kitchens & other compact spaces like RVs, boats...
- Produces 26 pounds of ice a day - never run to the store for a bag of ice again
- Offers an easy-to-use LED control panel that allows you to choose from 2 ice size settings
- Portable ice maker requires no installation - just plug in unit, add water & wait up to 15 minutes...
Things we like
- Intuitive LED control panel
- Users don’t have to install the machine
- Produces ice within 15 minutes
Things we dislike
- Lid feels fragile
7. Euhomy Portable Nugget Ice Maker Machine
There’s no better time to get a portable nugget ice maker than holiday seasons. You will put it to good use while can take advantage of discounts offered by many different brands. Euhomy also jumps on the bandwagon. If you’ve decided to get one, consider this Euhomy Nugget Ice Maker Machine.
The portable ice cube maker measures 14.1 x 11 x 13.7 inches, making it highly compact for small spaces, including RV or dorm rooms. The unit can kick out a maximum of 120 ice pieces within 24 hours, proving enough supply for a whole family.
It takes between 12 and 18 minutes for the machine to create a small batch of 24 cubes at one go. Once the ice is ready, the detachable basket gives you more flexibility to serve up. The one-touch LCD is straightforward to operate with clear, easy-to-read markings and intuitive buttons. What’s more? This unit is impressively quiet while running, making the whole process more enjoyable. For all of these reasons, this is the best portable nugget ice maker for sure.
- 【High-Quality Ice Cubes】Euhomy’s countertop ice maker machine can produces 24 ice cubes per...
- 【LCD & Digital display】Electronic controls for ease of use. Features an easy-to-read push-button...
- 【Water Recycling System】 Counter ice maker machine holds up to 2.2 liters of water, minimizing...
- 【Efficient & Quiet Cooling】Portable ice maker countertop top rated prime is equipped with the...
Things we like
- Generates up to 24 ice pieces at a time
- Digital, LCD screen for easy operation
- The large daily output of 120 ice cubes
Things we dislike
- Complaints about the return policy
8. Igloo ICEB26HNBK Automatic Self-Cleaning
Igloo specializes in manufacturing kitchen appliances with high efficiency. This IGLOO portable ice maker is among these products, which you can flexibly carry and place anywhere, even in cramped spaces. What sets this portable ice cube maker apart from the rest is the low price. Many people prefer the option that doesn’t cost them too much.
The simple design makes this portable ice cube maker easily find a home in any kitchen. Whether you have a modern or traditional kitchen, this is the best portable ice maker to match its décor. This is also a favorite amongst those with smaller space. With a modest dimension of 12.2 x 9.06 x 12.8 inches and a weight of 19.41 pounds, this cheap portable ice maker is easy to take with you on trips. The handle is included for extra convenience.
With the production capacity of 26 pounds of ice in a day, this cheap portable ice maker can compare to other more expensive competitors. For each ice cycle, you can expect 9 ice cubes to add to your drinks. Besides, this IGLOO portable ice maker features the convenient self-clean mode, which triggers after every 5 cycles. Unfortunately, some buyers were left disappointed about the service customer from the manufacturer. Apart from it, this is the best portable ice maker that’s within the reach of most people.
- DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENCE: Convenient and compact in size, this ice maker looks good on a countertop...
- LARGE ICE MAKING CAPACITY: Keep the 2 quart water tank filled and this unit will produce 26 pounds...
- CARRY HANDLE: Carry handle is attached to the ice maker, making it convenient to move wherever it...
- SELF CLEANING: Automatic 5 cycle cleaning function makes clean up easy and effortless, allowing for...
Things we like
- Stylish design looks great in any kitchen
- An output of 26 pounds of ice per day
- Self-cleaning mode activates after 5 cycles
Things we dislike
- Customer service could be better
9. Igloo ICEB26RR Automatic Portable Electric Ice Maker
Igloo Electric Ice Machine is another best portable maker to make it to our list. However, is this machine any good?This IGLOO portable ice maker generates an impressive amount of 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours, translating to 200 ice pieces. If this capacity doesn’t meet your needs, we highly recommend you take a look at other larger options. Don’t forget to make sure you have enough space before taking the plunge.
One of the main advantages of buying this IGLOO portable ice maker is its modest footprint. You won’t sacrifice a lot of kitchen space for this little device, which measures only 9.61 x 14.69 x 12.4 inches. The weight of just over 20 pounds makes it highly portable for sitting in an RV. With this camping ice maker, you won’t have to settle with lukewarm beverages again.
This model also offers you great flexibility. You can get it either as a freestanding appliance or in the combination of a toaster. Either way, you’re sure to get value for your money with an outstanding performance from these dependable appliances.
This IGLOO portable ice maker is quite affordable, and the good news is it is frequently offered at a discount. Watch out for good bargains to get this cheap portable ice maker for your home.
Things we like
- Red housing brightens up your kitchen
- The 3-quart water reservoir is sufficient to deliver 26 pounds of ice per day
- Quickly generates ice within 7 minutes
Things we dislike
- Might heat up while running
- DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENCE Portable, convenient and compACt in size, this retro metallic red ice maker...
- Large ice making capACity keep the water tank filled and this unit will produce 26 pounds of ice in...
- Water tank capACity 3 quarts. Ice production per day (pounds.) - 26
- Ice basket capACity stores up to 2 pounds of ice at a time
10. Luma Comfort Portable Nugget Ice Maker
This rugged portable nugget ice maker would be a nice addition to your kitchen decor. To our pleasant surprise, this appliance is manufactured by the trusted brand NewAir, so you can rest assured about the quality. Unlike other ice machines that make opaque ice, this unit generates clear ice cubes without containing any gas or contaminants. Add tasty ice to your favorite drinks without worrying about any health concerns.
To further protect users’ health, Luma makes sure that all parts are made from BPA-free materials. Therefore, you can enjoy your iced beverages worry-free. Thanks to the well-insulated storage bin, your ice melts much slower compared to ice in other portable ice machines.
You’ll be pleased with the outstanding ice output of 28 pounds daily. Such a capacity makes this unit superior to other competitors in the category. This means you’ll expect more than 200 ice pieces a day, sufficient to meet a large household’s needs. Never have to buy store-bought ice again. You should note that this Newair portable nugget ice maker needs breaks between ice cycles. You don’t have to wait long for your ice. An ice cycle lasts about 15 minutes to bring out crystal clear ice.
- [MAKE CLEAR ICE THE EASY WAY] - Home mixologists, meet your new best friend: the crystal clear ice...
- [THE CLEAR CHOICE] - Clear ice makes a big difference in the quality of your drinks. It melts more...
- [BPA CERTIFIED PARTS] - Safe drinking water is important to everyone and that includes the ice you...
- [SIMPLE TWO BUTTON OPERATION] - There's no learning curve here! Simply turn the unit on and choose...
Things we like
- Well-insulated storage bin
- Stress-free operation with only 2 buttons
- Made from BPA-free material
Things we dislike
- Build quality leaves little to be desired.
Purchasing an ice maker without any research and preparation doesn’t sound like a good idea. A few minutes of careful consideration of your needs will help you make the right choice. Otherwise, you might regret your decision if you buy things in haste. Here are some factors you need to consider when looking for one.
Most portable ice machines generate approximately the same output. Of course, there are some exceptions, for example, the NewAir portable ice maker on our list. Typically, the capacity range is from 20 to a maximum of 30 pounds in a day.
If you’ll be using your portable ice machine for a long period, production capacity should be the number one priority.
What also matters is how long an ice cycle lasts, and the amount of ice you can expect in each cycle. These factors are well mentioned for each product in our reviews for you to make comparisons.
Due to the small footprint, these models can store less ice than the full-size ones. Ice cubes will melt if left inside the storage bin for a long time. The machine will recycle that amount of water to make new ice. If you don’t want this to happen, you’d better monitor closely the process and empty the bin once it’s full.
It’s best to purchase the model that can make your favorite ice type. There are around six different types of ice from nugget, cube, half cube, bullet-shaped to gourmet, and crescent.
Size of Ice
Besides ice shape, several machines give you the flexibility of choosing between different ice sizes that match your drinks. Depending on different beverages, people might prefer big-size ice cubes over smaller ones and vice versa.
This is not a universal feature that all the models share, but you’re likely to come across such a portable ice machine that allows you to choose from small, medium, and large ice sizes.
A unit that falls into the category of portable ice makers should be tiny enough to neatly sit atop your kitchen counter. No one likes to move an ice maker between places every single day. Therefore, make sure your ice maker of choice has the right size to fit in your space.
Aesthetic always plays a role when someone’s making a purchase. With this type of appliance, there is a high chance that you’ll place the portable ice maker machine permanently on the counter-top. Therefore, you’ll love a nice-looking machine that matches your kitchen décor.
We’ve rounded up different models that come in various colorways and distinctive designs. We hope we have something for everyone. That said, when it comes to buying such a functional machine, appearance shouldn’t be a top priority.
Type of ice maker machine
Not all ice makers are created equal. The shapes and sizes vary from model to model. There are ice makers for either outdoor or indoor usage. A unit made for outdoor use is better insulated. It also withstands heat better.
Counter-top or portable ice machines are standalone appliances. They’re often placed on the counter-top. Built-in ice makers, on the other hand, are usually stored in cabinets.
If you’re searching for an ice machine for commercial use, you should look for the one that lasts for a long time and have a capacity that suits your needs. In that case, you’ll get a robust but less portable ice maker machine.
Storage and Insulation
Despite being insulated, a portable ice maker doesn’t work as efficiently as a standard freezer. This means ice doesn’t stay frozen for a long time inside. As a result, if you’ll be using your portable ice machine constantly, you should look for the one that recirculates the water to produce ice. Ice makers of this size give you a steady supply of ice whenever you need it. However, there is no internal freezer to keep unused ice cubes frozen.
With the help of a timer, you don’t always need to check on the ice-making process. Some machines even let you set a specific time to make ice. Besides, the shape and size of ice is something you should consider while making the decision.
Many machines come with a self-cleaning mode, which makes cleaning and maintenance less of a hassle. Also, you don’t need to pay extra money for cleaning products. It’s best to choose an energy-saving appliance. While buying a portable ice machine, look for the one with EnergyStar certification as it’ll consume less electricity than those without.
Apart from the above factors, virtually all ice machines are the same in terms of functions and extra add-ons
Hopefully, our buying guides will help you make informed decisions to get the best portable ice maker for your home.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. What’s the best ice to use if I drink seltzer and soda?
Clear ice is an ideal accompaniment for seltzer and soda. This type of ice has fewer air pockets, which means less fizzing in your drinks.
2. How should I clean my ice maker?
After getting enough ice, you’d better off get rid of the excess water inside. Otherwise, a wet environment will be a breeding ground for mildew and we know you won’t like it. From time to time, clean the internal parts with a soft cloth and some soap to make them spotless. Luckily, some models feature self-cleaning mode, which is a lifesaver. If your machine doesn’t have this feature, simply clean it using any nickel-safe cleaning substance. All in all, the maintenance doesn’t require a lot of effort.
3. Should I use filtered water to make ice cubes?
Yes. High-quality water makes better and tastier ice cubes, which results in a better cup of iced cocktail or soda. The ice cubes tend to be opaque and softer if made from unfiltered water.
4. Is there an ideal room temperature when operating a portable ice maker?
Typically, the storage bin of a portable ice machine is decently insulated to keep things cool inside. However, the suggested temperature range for the best ice-making process is from 50F to 80F.
5. What is nugget ice?
Nugget ice is chewy and small in size. This type of ice has become increasingly popular recently. However, this ice type is mainly generated by larger nugget ice makers. Small machines that we have today do not specialize in this type of ice.
If you’re sitting on the fence about buying a portable ice maker, we hope you’ve made up your mind by the time you finish our reviews. Purchasing this machine is a straightforward process. First and foremost, decide the amount of money you’re willing to pay for the small portable ice maker. This will further narrow down the list. Then, take a look at the capacity that best suits your family’s needs, as well as your favorite ice type. In the end, make sure you have enough space for your pick. If there’s any issue arising while you’re buying, feel free to contact us and we’ll get you covered.
Read more: Best Electric Wine Chiller Reviews